Here are the questions we get most frequently about duplicate contact profiles in Kindful.
Why is a new contact profile created for this person every time they donate?
Kindful's first priority is that you have good data, and merging contacts cannot be undone. It will typically err on the side of not merging contacts, to save you the hassle of having to pull transactions apart from inside a single contact profile. Or worse, having incorrect data about which transactions came from whom!
When someone completes a transaction, they are automatically sent a confirmation email to the email address they provided. If they click the link to confirm their email address, then all future transactions will automatically be placed in their profile. If they do not, this will not happen, and new contact profiles will be created; Kindful was waiting for the contact to prove that they owned the email address, and they did not.
If they have more than one contact profile due to multiple transactions, then later go back and click the confirmation link to confirm their email, Kindful will retroactively merge all profiles created by those transactions that share the email.
I have contact duplicates that don't appear in the Contact Duplicates tool. Why?
There are a few reasons that contact records that you think (or know) are duplicates do not appear in Contact Duplicates.
- They do not meet exactly the criteria by which the tool matches contacts:
- Name (First and Last) - including spelling, capitalization, punctuation, etc.
- Last Name + Postal Code
- Organization Name
- Not enough time has passed. The tool will match contacts, but it can take several hours for it to look through all your data (more on this below).
- The contacts were previously marked as "Not Duplicates". If this has been done, the tool will never identify these contacts as potential duplicates again.
- There are more than two duplicate profiles. The tool will only match two at a time, so once those have been addressed, it will find the other set of duplicates. This process continues for multiple duplicate records until all potential duplicates are matched.
Of course you can always merge contacts manually even if they don't appear in Contact Duplicates.
I already merged these two contact profiles! Why are they showing on the Contact Duplicates page again?
You probably didn't merge these two already -- just two that looked a lot (or exactly) like them. Often times it's possible to have more than two duplicate records, and once you have merged two, the Contact Duplicates tool will find the next set of duplicates. This process will repeat for as many duplicate records this person has, as long as these records meet the criteria (see above).
How often does the Contact Duplicates tool start fresh to look through my data?
- A data import using the Import Data tool
- Any "one-off" action which creates or updates a contact will queue up a worker to look for for duplicates. Certain bulk actions may not.
- Imports by certain integrations such as Eventbrite, Crowdrise, and QuickBooks.
- Your friendly Kindful Support team! If you feel like things might be stuck, feel free to send us an email -- we can get things going for you again.
How long will it take for the Contact Duplicates tool to look through all my contacts to find duplicates?
So, for example, if you have 8,000 contacts, it could easily take 3-4 hours to work through them all. It can be pretty load-heavy operation to sweep through all your contact records, but rest assured -- it'll get done!
Still have questions?
Feel free to send our support team an email, or you can call the phone number found in the lower left hand corner of your Kindful Admin account to speak to a team member.