This article explores all the different uses for Kindful's registration forms. Each time a registration form is used, it can add new contacts or update existing contacts in your database.
The Basics - Creating a Form
Find your forms within the Contacts & Activities tab. To add a new form, click the Add + button.
Start by setting some parameters of your form. When you choose a title, a URL path will be automatically chosen for you, but you can always change this to something else if you'd like.
If you'd like to "open" or "close" registration on certain days, you have the option to choose when people can access this form. You can also limit the amount of registrations you receive on this form.
All registrants can be added to an existing Group. (Need info on how to create a group? Check out this article.)
If you'd like your registrants to receive an emailed confirmation that they completed this form, you can assign any "Registration Receipt" templates in your account to be sent out to registrants automatically. (Want to know how to create templates? Check out this article.)
If you'd like someone (perhaps an admin) to receive a notification anytime someone fills out this form, enter their email address so they can be kept up to date with their registrants.
You can limit the same person from registering twice when you choose to "Prevent duplicate registrations based on email address."
PLEASE NOTE: There may be some people who complete this form who are already in your database. If you'd like the information they fill out in this form to replace existing data that may already be in their contact profile, make sure to select the option to override their existing data. This option is on by default. In the example below, the top box kicks in a lookup by email of existing contacts, and the second box determines whether existing values or newly-incoming values are given precedence. In the event you want to set up a Kindful form to update existing contact profiles, you will want to select both boxes to both Prevent duplicate registrations.... and Override an existing contact's....
Finally, you have the option to redirect registrants to another webpage after they submit their form. Often, we see our customers use this to send their donors to one of their donation pages, to their website, or to their social media pages.
Choosing Elements + Customizing Your Form
Every form starts with some basic elements:
- Put your form on your Website: Your form can be accessed via a URL. Click "View" to check your progress on your form as you work, and to access the public URL. This is the URL you'll link to on your website.
- Add a header image: The best dimensions for this image are 1170 px x 211px
- Add an image or video in the form body: If you're uploading a picture, the best dimensions are 570px x 320px
- Edit your confirmation message: If you choose not to redirect your registrants to another webpage upon submitting their form, you can customize the message they see on the screen when they're done.
- Edit registration closed message: If someone comes to your form after registration has closed or after the maximum number of registrants have filled it out, you can customize the message they see in place of the registration form.
- First Name, Last Name, Email Address: These three elements are included on every registration form. Why? Because this is how our system matches up duplicate contacts. If someone is filling out a form but their contact profile already exists in Kindful, we add their registration to their profile as long as there is an exact match for their First Name, Last Name, and Email Address. If we can't find an exact match for those three fields, we'll create a new contact.
- Downloads: If you need them to download something, you can add that file here as well. Often, customers will use this section if they need registrants to sign a waiver form. You're also able to allow your registrants to upload that same form using an element (explained below).
There are lots of elements that you can use on your registration forms. To add a new element, click Add New Element. You can always edit and rearrange the order of your elements as you go. Let's go over each element:
- Contact Field: Map to specific contact fields using this element. Decide whether or not you'd like to make this field required for all registrations.
- Contact Custom Field: Do you have custom fields that you're using to manage your contacts? Use this element type to map directly to any of those fields. If you need to create custom fields to use on your registration form, simply click "Manage Custom Fields." This takes you to your Custom Contact Settings to update your custom fields.
- Registration Custom Field: If you don't want to keep adding custom fields to your contact profiles, or you only need to take custom information from registrants one time, it might be a good idea to use the Registration Custom Fields. These custom fields work very similarly to your Contact Custom Fields, but the information taken using these fields will only live on your registration forms, instead of on every contact profile.
Types of Registration form Custom fields are: Text, Long-Text, Date, Checkbox, Select, and Multi-Select.
- Document Field: You can allow registrants to upload an image or a document such as a passport, or waiver form. Perhaps your registrants will need to upload a signed waiver form that you placed in your "Downloads" section.
- Section Heading: Start a new section of your form with a heading.
- Section Paragraph: Explain that section, provide instructions, or add more information in a paragraph.
Completed Registrations - How to view registrations in Kindful
Once someone completes a registration using your form, you'll be able to view that registration in your activity trail.
These activities can be filtered for using the filter Activity Type: Registration.
You'll also be able to export all your registrations at once from your Forms page.
Still have questions?
Feel free to send our support team an email, or you can call the phone number found in the lower left hand corner of your Kindful Admin account to speak to a team member.