At the core of Kindful is your database: a place for you to create, store, and reference your donors’ information. But a database is only as good as its data. Which is why you’ll need to move everything over to Kindful as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
In this process, before we even begin importing anything, there are many details to consider in gathering and preparing your data.
This is the roadmap for where we're headed in the import process.
- Download our CSV templates and fit your source data into our templates.
- Import your data into your Sandbox (testing) account. Sandbox is a separate, temporary environment that allows you to verify your data was mapped into Kindful correctly before finalizing the move.
- Verify your data and finalize your import to show in your live account.
Before you begin
If you're planning to import contact data, transaction data, or both into Kindful, you're in the right place. If you're trying to import something other than contact or transaction data, it's probably a good time for you to contact support.
If you’re the one who will be diving into Kindful’s data importing, we suggest you’re a technical user comfortable with CSV files. You should understand the structure and format of your source data to prevent any errors when importing.
Types of data that can be imported:
- Contacts (person or organization contacts)
- New transactions (only cash, check, credit, stock, or EFT transactions)
You can find our templates at the bottom of this article.
|Note: Custom Contact Fields cannot be updated. The Import Wizard does not update existing custom fields or merge new data with existing custom fields. It is possible that by importing data, you could be creating duplications in Kindful.|
Following are the accepted transaction types for the Import Wizard.
- Cash transaction
- Check transaction
- Credit transaction
- Paypal transaction
- Square transaction
- Electronic fund transfer
- Stock transaction
If the spelling of any transaction type in your source file doesn’t exactly match the spelling of Kindful's transaction type, then your transactions will be mapped to our standard transaction type (which is check).
There are two considerations when it comes to importing campaigns and funds.
- If your source file contains a campaign column, and you have a campaign in Kindful with the same name, the import will update the existing campaign
- If campaigns in your source file are not consistent with campaigns in Kindful, new campaigns will be created
- The Import Wizard will assign transactions without a specified fund name or campaign name to a "General" fund or "General" campaign
If any of the following applies to you, we recommend you go a different route to import your data. Please contact us to learn more about our Custom Services.
- If you could use expert advice and best practices mapping your specific data to Kindful
- If you need to import groups, relationships, soft credits, pledges, non-cash gifts, documents, notes, or cause teams
- If you need to import campaign data other than campaign name
The types of files and formatting you use are the most important piece to importing your data correctly. Please make sure you follow our guidelines.
- The Import Wizard ONLY accepts CSV files
- Please use our templates – copy data from your files into the templates we provide (you can download them at the bottom)
- The maximum file size accepted is 256MB
- The first row needs to contain the field names (e.g. First Name, Email, Mobile Phone)
- Make sure every column has a header or it won’t be imported
- Each record must take up only one line
- All your distinct fields must be organized into their own columns
- Please ensure your files contain ONLY records, excluding fields like totals or photos
We hope you’ve made yourself very familiar with all these guidelines. If you have any hesitations about importing, please contact us.
- Download the import templates at the bottom of this article
- Start copying your data into our templates
- Help video series: Importing Your Data
- Help article: Using the Import Wizard.
About the templates
Based on what you're importing, there are three template options.
- Contacts CSV – for new contacts only
- Transactions CSV – new transactions for existing contacts
- Contacts and Transactions CSV – new contacts with accompanying transactions
|Note: Make sure any date formatting matches the following: mm/dd/yyyy.|
List of fields available for import in our Data Import Tool
- Contact - Name
- Contact - Address
- Contact - Address 2
- Contact - Address Type
- Contact - Alternate Email
- Contact - Alt. Phone Number
- Contact - Alt. Phone Number 2
- Contact - Alumnus
- Contact - Birthday (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Contact - Church
- Contact - City
- Contact - Comments
- Contact - Country
- Contact - County
- Contact - Created At (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Contact - Custom Field
- Contact - Deceased
- Contact - Degree
- Contact - Email
- Contact - Emergency Contact
- Contact - Emergency Phone
- Contact - Employer
- Contact - Fax
- Contact - First and Last Name
- Contact - First Name
- Contact - Formal Letter Name
- Contact - Gender
- Contact - Graduation Year
- Contact - ID
- Contact - Informal Letter Name
- Contact - Last Name
- Contact - Middle Name
- Contact - Mobile Phone
- Contact - Name Prefix
- Contact - Name Suffix
- Contact - Occupation
- Contact - Phone
- Contact - Postal Code
- Contact - Preferred Name
- Contact - Retired or Not Employed
- Contact - Second Degree
- Contact - Second Graduation Year
- Contact - Spouse
- Contact - Spouse Email
- Contact - Spouse Occupation
- Contact - Spouse Phone
- Contact - State
- Contact - Title
- Contact - University
- Contact - Website
- Contact - Work Phone
- Organization Name
- Campaign – Name
- Fund - Name
- Transaction - Acknowledged
- Transaction - Amount in Dollars
- Transaction - Card Last Four
- Transaction - Check Number
- Transaction - Contact ID
- Transaction - Custom Text 1
- Transaction - Custom Text 2
- Transaction - Custom Text 3
- Transaction - Date (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Transaction - Note
- Transaction - Type